Updating Your Address with the IRS: A Step-by-Step Guide

Human lives are filled with changes. It can be relocating to a new place or transitioning your business. But, let’s face it, moving to an absolutely new location comes with a pile of responsibilities. From updating your address for your gym membership or credit card company, things become pretty messy. 

But amidst all the hustle, it’s easy to overlook some vital updates, like informing the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of your new address. Updating your address with the IRS is crucial to ensure seamless communication and avoid any potential complications with your tax filings. Many ask, “how do I change address with IRS?” In this blog, we have an answer for that!

This guide will simplify the often-overlooked process for you. You can find all the necessary steps to notify the IRS about your change of address, whether you’re updating your address before or after filing your tax return.

So, are you a business owner familiar with IRS tax resolution services, a or college graduate filing taxes for the first time — this guide will equip you with the right knowledge!

Read ahead for a step-by-step guide to ensure your important tax communications reach you without delay. This way, you get to focus on the excitement of your new home or business location rather than worrying about missed IRS correspondence.

Updating Your Address Before Filing Your Tax Return: What You Need to Know

Are you about to find your tax return, but your address has changed? Well, you might wonder, “how can I change my tax return after filing?”

Truly, it’s pretty easy. Meaning you can easily update your address before filing.

When filing your Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR, you can just incorporate your new address in the appropriate boxes. Ensure the information is accurate to prevent any form of miscommunication. 

Simply, if you want to change your address before filing your tax return, then: simply enter your new address directly on your return. When the IRS processes your return, they’ll automatically update their records with your new address.

However, don’t forget to report it to your return preparer. Whether you’re using a tax professional or a software program, make sure to update your address there too. This ensures that any correspondence or notifications related to your return are directed to your new location. When you relocate, inform the IRS at any cost about the change of business address IRS to ensure that all necessary tax correspondence reaches you without delay.

Now that you know the process you can enjoy shifting to a new place without the stress of dealing with the IRS for something as simple as your address.

Address Change After Filing a Tax Return: Important Steps to Follow

But that was “before” filing. You can ask, “how do I change my address with the IRS after I’ve filed my tax return?” There are a couple of steps you can take.

One of the most convenient methods is using the United States Postal Service’s (USPS) change of address service. By updating your address with USPS, they will forward any IRS correspondence to your new address for up to a year.

Now, when you relocate after filing your tax return, you should notify both the post offices servicing your old address and the IRS.

Here’s how you can inform the IRS

  • By Form: Fill out Form 8822 for individual, gift, estate, or generation-skipping transfer tax returns or Form 8822-B for business address changes. You can then forward the completed form to the address given on it. For better information on changing the “responsible party”, you can check Form 8822-B.

  • In Writing: Write a letter to the IRS including your full name, old and new addresses, your social security or employer identification number, and your signature. Have you filed a joint return? Assuming yes, incorporate information for both taxpayers. Send the letter to the IRS address provided in the tax forms you filed.

  • By Phone: Call the IRS to inform them about the address change. Give them your full name, old and new addresses, and your social security or employer identification number. The IRS has the authority to ask for additional information required for identity verification.

If the address change relates to an employment tax return, the IRS sends confirmation notices to both the new and former addresses.

Notifying the IRS of an Address Change: Using Form 8822

Well, do you want a more direct way to inform the IRS about your recent change of address? Guess what, it’s as easy as filling out and sending Form 8822, Change of Address. But how do you handle a change of business address with the IRS? 

This is exactly where Form 8822-B is useful! You can use this form to report your new business location to the IRS. They can be found on the IRS website and require information such as your old address, new address, and social security number or Employer Identification Number. Assuming that the address change impacts your spouse or dependents, make sure to include their details on the form as well.

Still a confusion? Well, if your question is “how to change my address with the IRS?”, the process involves either updating your address directly on your next tax return, submitting a Form 8822, or contacting the IRS directly via phone or written correspondence.

Timelines for Updating Your Address with the IRS: What to Expect

After you’ve submitted your address change, either through your tax return, USPS, or Form 8822, allow some processing time. 

If you updated your address on your tax return, the IRS usually updates its records within a span of six weeks of processing your return. For Form 8822, give around four to six weeks for the IRS to update their records.

Bottom Line

Keeping your IRS correspondence updated is imperative. Not only does it prevent you from missing important tax documents or notifications, but it is equally helpful in case you need IRS tax audit help. Simply, if you need to update your business address with the IRS, fill Form 8822-B, Change of Address.

Involving a former IRS agent or seeking IRS tax resolution services is easier when your records are accurate. 

So, if you change your address, make sure the IRS knows where to find you. You can leverage these very simple steps to update your address before and after filing your tax return, making communication between you and the IRS smooth and delay-free!

Table of Contents


Joe Hopkins

Joe has 25+ years as a Certified Public Accountant licensed in the State of Texas and solving IRS problems. Current member with the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), Texas Society of CPA’s (TSCPA), National Society of Accountants (NSA), Bachelor’s degree in accounting (BBA), Master’s degree in Business Administration (MBA) at Texas A&M Corpus Christi. Experience in a variety of industries as Controller, CFO and tax resolution issues for both business and personal tax cases.